The improvised DJ/production desk thread

Home :: What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup. :: The improvised DJ/production desk threadReply
The improvised DJ/production desk thread
Posted on: 16.09.2011 by Romelia Stankard
Update July 2012

Now that we can edit posts regardless of how old they are I thought I would post a few updates here for people looking to build one of these and compile some past posts since I get PMs about it every one in a while. Please read through this thread and post any questions in here before PMing me, I will see your post I promise. I will be happy to answer any questions in this thread and if you plan to do it differently then it's best to plan it out carefully but my build works very well and is very sturdy.

This is a pretty easy DIY project but you will need some basic skills and tools and be able to figure some things out on your own- if you need a list of every single screw and washer I used and step by step instructions this project is probably not for you.

Here is the full parts list I used in my build- all parts are picked out specifically for the dual expedit configuration I used so keep that in mind if you are going to modify it you need to check if it will work:

Two 2x8 expedits: $140 http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10103088/
3 lillangen leg frames $25 each for $75 (must be this exact model for the correct width of two expedits: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40205194/)
4 godmorgon legs: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177767/ $8 each for $32 total
You may be able to get away with two depending on what you use for a monitor stand to mount on top, but the second set is to get another mounting bracket/screw to make a straight stand that you can bolt and screw a piece of plywood into
you will need top plates for the monitor stand, I had two spare ones from some floor monitor stands I just screwed in. You could screw into a shelf (preferably not the cheap hollow lack) or just a piece of wood from lowes spray painted might be easier and what I would do if I didn't have the metal plates. These are the metal plates I used from these stands: http://www.amazon.com/OnStage-SMS600.../dp/B000CD3QYM

Optional: 3x dioder light kits http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/ $120. You can use fewer depending on how you want to light it

2x capita brackets http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40051196/ $15

From lowes/home depot: you can get nice 1/2"x12" by however long wood you want your shelf and they can cut it to the length of the shelf and you can spray paint or stain it. This is better than using an ikea shelf since you need to screw into it. You can use this for monitor stands too.

You will need two long metric bolts and large washers for the capita brackets. These are the exact bolts I used from Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_214487-37672...RL=&facetInfo=
M10-1.50 x 75

You will then need some long thin bolts to bolt the godmorgon legs through the expedit with some fat 1" diameter washers for each bolt. I had to enlarge each hole on the bracket slightly. Don't try to screw these in they need to be bolted through with big washers. I forget the exact bolts I used but go to the store and shop around a bit and look through the pictures in here.

Then you will just need misc screws to secure the leg frame and some drill bits and such. you will also want some brackets to secure the expedits together (again, look at the pictures)

Also the headphone hooks from Ikea which are awesome: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60152590/

Here are some pictures I took a couple months ago from when I rearranged my apartment and moved the booth which gives you some more details on how it was put together since I didn't take as many pics as I could have when I put it together (it also held up perfectly fine moving it by myself sliding it on it's side on the floor and then turning it back upright from on it's side with all the weight on the legs, though it was a pain in the ass doing it alone).

I drilled a bunch of extra holes in the leg frames to mount it better just to make sure they are sturdy, it is easy to drill though and I don't believe there are enough holes if you just use the stock ones.

Here are some more posts in this thread with more in progress pictures (keep in mind some of the stuff like the lack shelves didn't get used in the final design):

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post353617

http://community .djranking s.com/showthr...l=1#post359366

Original Post:
I saw a couple ideas for things hacked together from ikea parts but I don't really have a table saw or tools at my new place so I want something with minimal cutting.

Basically I need to fit two technics, s4 in flight case, mpk49, ipad, maybe an apc40, maschine, and 2 x1's (though some of those can stay stored away) and maybe some storage space for vinyl underneath but I have other spots for that too. I have monitor stands made of pipe I can bolt onto whatever I do.

So I would love to see some idea.
Junko Andersen
I'm trying to build something that can function both as a computer desk and a DJ booth. I've looked through the thread and see a lot of good ideas, but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm pretty handy but not much when it comes to actually designing something. Any help or guidance here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Mitsuko Titterington
So as title is saying 'improvised'
I'm showing you my creative upcicling

Went from

To this

Quite tricky, using parts I found in the garage of the shared house I'm in...
Best thing is that monitors are very close to ear level and managed to raise to perfect heigh the mixer/controller..
But won't be able to add a deck into this setup...but yeh for $0

Side view to understand the engineering of my master project
Zoila Langolf
For your perusal is a taster pic of my Setup almost complete and functional now!

Lots of further details to post on the items and set up this week now the main phase 1 is finished and tested.

Hopefully the vinyl junkies amongst you will be interested in the Vinyl wall backdrop (they are real records). It took months of planning and collecting records and researching fixing options but all came together wonderfully and I'm very impressed.

setup1.jpg

The red units came from Ikea and I have managed to fit them together without any (fettling!) i.e. Not a cut or hole on any gloss surface (yet!)

I will detail how shortly if anyone is interested.

More detailed pics to follow

Hope you enjoy!

Ian.
Mitsuko Titterington
I'm living in a shared house in London, I won't probably buy much wood since I will have to leave it behind.
But this is my first setup, this month it may drasticly change, so I thought I'd post first my "improvised" one.

IMG_1600setup.jpg
IMG_setup.jpg

I need to get these monitors at ear level and the controller a bit higher, problem is that I'm adding a technics and a cdj soon...so yeh...we'll see what happens
Minna Repetti
Hi all,

Apologies if starting this thread up again annoys anyone. I've found a lot of inspiration here and wanted to enquire myself.

I've designed the following desk on Sketch-Up using parts from IKEA and I was wondering people's thoughts on it.

Desk6a.jpg
Desk6b.jpg

I've decided to layer 2 desktops on top of each other creating a kind of sandwich where I will keep my amplifiers and other rack mounted type technology. I would prefer to have these closed off at the sides and back with some wooden panels, but can't find anything suitable to achieve this. Maybe I could use some plywood or MDF?

I have a few questions about my design:
  • Do you believe there will be enough support using the capita legs to prevent the desktops and shelf warping? I could space the Ullrik legs close together.
  • Should I use less capita legs?
  • Is there anything you would change?

Parts List:
2 x Ullrik Legs
2 x Linnmon Table Top (150x75)
1 x Ekby Amund (150x28)
2 x Capita Legs 4 Pack (16CM)
2 x Capita Brackets 2 Pack
Possibly 1 or 2 x ADILS Support
Loyd Cilek
Originally Posted by SJJVEN
Built my ikea desk a few months ago. Total price came out to around $240 cnd all in.
What parts did you use SJJVEN?
Vito Agate
[QUOTE=cyberphox;665614]
Originally Posted by Peasey
You cut into the Lack TV bench? Cool. I have the same unit and wanted to try it but was wondering how it would hold up.
The panels are really well engineered and are of a honeycomb type of construction and extremely strong and rigid. Even with the large sections I have cut out, the top doesn't really flex at all, however I do take care not to put any undo stress on the narrow sections if ever I need to remove it. Also, the supplied 'legs' that are designed to take the weight of a TV work well to hold the unit's shape.
Pearl Diazmartinez
Originally Posted by deejaygarcia
Got some inspiration from this page. Going to build a Table that is both a DJ Booth (Standing Up) and a production desk (Sitting Down) with the following

2 - Expedit Shelves (small 4 shelves)
1 - Expedit Shelve (long 5 shelves)
1 - Lack Large Shelf
2 - Capita Brackets

Very inexpensive and based on the design i have planned and measured it (even ran it through an arquitect to see if it would hold). I'll post pictures once I have something up and running.
Did you ever get this built? I need something just like this and would love to see how yours turned out...
Vito Agate
Here's my effort - thanks to all for the inspiration (particularly kanaberra), ideas and advice...

Kyung Olszowka
Originally Posted by Liambo
Just a picture progress on how my ikea DJ set up was completed

I was aware my speakers were far away so tried to believe of a way to solve it.

Solution being hiding my Techs as i was concentrating a lot on CDJ's..

I then ended up with this:

And my 'studio' area (Now have a RME Babyface in place and soundproofing under my VXT's):
Hi mate what tabletop did you use to get yourself the extra depth on top of the expedits? looking to make an almost identical setup with similar shelves, but need the depth! thanks
Demarcus Poppe
Originally Posted by fokaisnake
Looks legit! Where did you get that technics box? Actually, what is it exactly?
Thanks! It's just an idea i came up with. Thought it would look cool and i had never done any cool inlays with the waterjet i use at my job. I grabbed an image of the logo off google and combined two stencils in photoshop to make what i call "Storm Lee"(probably hard to make out with my crap phone picture). It's a sweet machine that's good for making all sorts of stuff. The panel facing the decks is on hinges so i can wire everything up easily and hides holes through the table so i can feed a single extension cord through.

I'm not very good at carpentry or design but i believe it came out alright.
Jesenia Chromey
Nice work Peasey ! It looks very clean.
Leigh Dollyhigh
How do I fit a book shelf on top of an expedit book case?
I have capita legs to fit between the shelf and the bookcase, but they would only attach to one or the other?
Random X
That is rather nice as well... Maybe even a bit more stable than the regular IKEA builds.
Loyd Cilek
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
Marcos Zelko
Hey DeanOakley, I built my desk similar to someone else's on here in the community . Can't remember the community members name. Only thing I changed on mine was the counter top and the shelf as the ones that were listed on his build were not available at the ikea I went to. I totally forgot which counter top + shelf combo I got but here is the complete list of parts.

4" Capita legs x2
Ullrik table leg x2
Capita brackets pack of 2
Bjarnum Folding hook
Pragel Countertop 73-1/4"
Ekby Amund shelf

The countertop I ended up getting was a little smaller then the one in the original build plan, but that ended up being better for me as space was limited. One other thing to note is that my desk sits ontop of the Ullrik table legs, and is not fixed in place. You can figure out a way to fix it in place yourself but I thought it was best not to. I could upgrade to a bigger table top in the future for more space needed be this way.
Loyd Cilek
Originally Posted by SJJVEN
Built my ikea desk a few months ago. Total price came out to around $240 cnd all in.
What parts did you use SJJVEN?
Vito Agate
[QUOTE=cyberphox;665614]
Originally Posted by Peasey
You cut into the Lack TV bench? Cool. I have the same unit and wanted to try it but was wondering how it would hold up.
The panels are really well engineered and are of a honeycomb type of construction and extremely strong and rigid. Even with the large sections I have cut out, the top doesn't really flex at all, however I do take care not to put any undo stress on the narrow sections if ever I need to remove it. Also, the supplied 'legs' that are designed to take the weight of a TV work well to hold the unit's shape.
Random X
And once again a Vika Amon / Ekby Amund / Capita picture.

Rufus Ondrick
good job it looks gorgeous Peasey
Johnna Callery
[QUOTE=Peasey;663477]Here's my effort - thanks to all for the inspiration (particularly kanaberra), ideas and advice...

Norbert Thysell
Lookin damn nice Peasey!
Pearl Diazmartinez
Originally Posted by deejaygarcia
Got some inspiration from this page. Going to build a Table that is both a DJ Booth (Standing Up) and a production desk (Sitting Down) with the following

2 - Expedit Shelves (small 4 shelves)
1 - Expedit Shelve (long 5 shelves)
1 - Lack Large Shelf
2 - Capita Brackets

Very inexpensive and based on the design i have planned and measured it (even ran it through an arquitect to see if it would hold). I'll post pictures once I have something up and running.
Did you ever get this built? I need something just like this and would love to see how yours turned out...
Kayce Furumoto
Snoopy!!!!!!
Vito Agate
Here's my effort - thanks to all for the inspiration (particularly kanaberra), ideas and advice...

Kyung Olszowka
Originally Posted by Liambo
Just a picture progress on how my ikea DJ set up was completed

I was aware my speakers were far away so tried to believe of a way to solve it.

Solution being hiding my Techs as i was concentrating a lot on CDJ's..

I then ended up with this:

And my 'studio' area (Now have a RME Babyface in place and soundproofing under my VXT's):
Hi mate what tabletop did you use to get yourself the extra depth on top of the expedits? looking to make an almost identical setup with similar shelves, but need the depth! thanks
Keitha Prichard
the set ups and builds suggested here are very impressive why i am looking for the similar formation origins from these
Marcos Zelko

Martha Incerto
I have a drafting table it's perfect for this
Demarcus Poppe
Originally Posted by fokaisnake
Thanks! It's just an idea i came up with. Thought it would look cool and i had never done any cool inlays with the waterjet i use at my job. I grabbed an image of the logo off google and combined two stencils in photoshop to make what i call "Storm Lee"(probably hard to make out with my crap phone picture). It's a sweet machine that's good for making all sorts of stuff. The panel facing the decks is on hinges so i can wire everything up easily and hides holes through the table so i can feed a single extension cord through.

I'm not very good at carpentry or design but i believe it came out alright.
Brunilda Kora
I'm 6ft 2in (= 1.8796m.)

My unit is a 4x2 expedit with TWO tabletops on top of each other, and 2 legs supportin the back of teh tabletops. No feet under the expedit. This is the perfect height for me for scratching.

I bet if you did the same, but only used 1 tabletop, you'd have something near perfect for your height.
Josef Modine
I am 1.80m and I am trying to figure out what would be a good height for the tablebuild. I'm believeing unit+capita leg+tabletop+TTs would put the total at about 1.14m which seems kind of too high for comfort.. any suggestions? i am going for the two 2x2 unit version with a linnmon 150x75x3.4cm tabletop
Nevada Edgette
Originally Posted by they call me chando
So after brainstorming a desk to fit my new pair of 1200 (feels so good!) I have finished my creation!

1027130838.jpg
1027130839a.jpg

The only thing i have left to add is the RGB led strip to be mounted inside the shelf to backlight the plexiglass and some studio monitors, Christmas is nigh and i believe I should give myself something nice. I had not seen anybody in this thread angle the 2 small expedits like this and i believe its a pretty good solution for those not looking to go two deep. One expedit would not have been stable enough on carpet especially without legs imo (which i didnt add) and this approach gives you that fore aft stability at less than half the cost. The two 2x2 units actually are cheaper than one 2x4 unit so theres also that.
Demarcus Poppe
So after brainstorming a desk to fit my new pair of 1200 (feels so good!) I have finished my creation!

1027130838.jpg
1027130839a.jpg

The only thing i have left to add is the RGB led strip to be mounted inside the shelf to backlight the plexiglass and some studio monitors, Christmas is nigh and i believe I should give myself something nice. I had not seen anybody in this thread angle the 2 small expedits like this and i believe its a pretty good solution for those not looking to go two deep. One expedit would not have been stable enough on carpet especially without legs imo (which i didnt add) and this approach gives you that fore aft stability at less than half the cost. The two 2x2 units actually are cheaper than one 2x4 unit so theres also that.
Valery Forestier
Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole
Has anyone come up with a decent desk that can be sat and stood at yet? ... This question is coming from someone at 6ft 1
Here is my setup:
http://community .djranking s.com/showthread.php?t=76020

All bought from ikea. I will try to get item numbers and names to post with.

Here is the table, Galant workstation with white glass top. I installed LED strips between the frame and glass.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99869218/

I used to have a small table I built to set my laptop on but have since ditched it for a monitor setup
Lorelei Brazee
Alright folks, I was inspired by this thread a while ago and thought it was about time I shared my Ikea creation. I was fairly limited by space and, although I don't do any production, I wanted somewhere I could also sit at comfortably and use as a desk for my computer. Cheers for the ideas guys!

[img]https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1382337_10153426297710160_1535459001_n.jpg[img]

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1378422_10153426297640160_398923768_n.jpg[img]
Lorelei Brazee
Hi folks, I was inspired by this thread a while ago to build a customised Ikea DJ desk and thought I better share my creation... I've got a fairly small flat in Edinburgh so space was a limiting factor. I don't do any production but I wanted somewhere I could also sit comfortably at and use as a desk for my computer. Anyway thanks for all the ideas!

dj booth 1.jpg

dj booth 2.jpg
Trey Efraimson
Originally Posted by djseake
Hi guys!
This is my setup's plan...TT's in battle mode etc.Might be helpful!
It's made by only IKEA parts.

Attachment 15559Attachment 15560Attachment 15561
What software did you use to make this image?
Rosina Sondrini
I just ran across this thread after dropping just under $100 on some particle board, metal pipes and flanges for a homemade setup, and this is SOOOOO much better.

The only issue I am having is finding the capita brackets. Seems they are discontinued from IKEA(as well as the angled legs). What other options are there for raising the shelf and securing to the table top?
Cicely Gottfried
Originally Posted by groovegsus
Hello here is mine

O_O DOPE SET UP!!! I was planning to do this but I was held back by the price range. Wanna give a price tag on how much all this cost? Excluding the all controllers, mixers, cdjs and launchpads? like computers and desktops? and you should probably sign up for ableton live 9.1 beta, dual monitors would look so sick with your set up!

<< Back to What have you got? Post some cool photos of your setup.Reply

Copyright 2012-2023
DJRANKINGS.ORG n.g.o.
Chuo-ku, Osaka, Japan

Created by Ajaxel CMS

Terms & Privacy